Project Updated June 2019
Somalia International Rehabilitation Centre (SIRC)
SIRC PLANS AND FOCUSES ON FOLLOWING PROGRAMS THROUGH CONFERENCES, WORKSHOPS, SEMINARS, CAPACITY BUILDING TRAININGS AND FOOD SECURITY PRODUCTION:
- Peace and security
- Dialogue and negotiations
- Democratic governance, rule of law and human rights
- Gender equality
- Empowerment of women, youth, and marginalized ethnic groups
- Youth empowerment
- Environment, natural resources conflict resolution
- Education for social development
- Food security
SIRC FOOD PROJECTS IMPLEMENTED 2003-2007, 2015
SIRC has worked with a local partner in Somalia, Bani’Adam Relief and Development Organization (BRDO), for securing food production through improving the agricultural infrastructure and making small-scale farmers more self-sufficient and implemented between 2003-2007 five projects in the Shabelle region of Somalia.
- Increased food security for small-scale farmers in Lower Shabelle region
- Farmers were equipped with modern farming techniques that increased their production level
- Increased marketing capacity and market accessibility for local producers in Janaale,
- Accumulated savings to use for land preparation and seeds.
- The community could use irrigation structures and are better protected against flooding.
- 2015 SIRC fishing food security project in Shebelle region of Somalia. Overall project goal: Fishing communities in Jazeera and Merka, in Lower Shabelle region, Somalia, have improved capacity to secure decent livelihood through access to food and nutrition
PEACE, SECURITY AND DEVELOPMENT HONRN OF AFRICA CONFERENCES PROJECTS 2002-2013
Somalia International Rehabilitation Centre (SIRC), with its local Horn of Africa partners and Lund Horn of Africa Forum act as a neutral academic setting in a place distant from the scene of conflicts and with an interest in the region carried by a strong wish to contribute to a peaceful and prosperous future for all involved. SIRC provides a platform with good possibilities of proving attractive as an organization for respectful dialogue in a spirit contributing to mutual understanding and peace building. SIRC offers a place for all regional parties in conflict to refer to and to receive support and information from in order to embark on peaceful dialogue and conflict settlement.
SIRC offers a number of Swedish and other neutral actors now engaged to be more regularly attached to and involved in the work for peace in the Horn of Africa at the same time as further actors could be attracted to participate. In a wider scope, seeming highly realistic and interesting, national and international agencies are often engaged, supporting the Horn of Africa peace project in various ways.
SIRC is engaged in furthering peaceful solutions. It has provided a much needed continuity by means of the annual Horn of Africa conferences, with the objective of supporting the efforts to achieve peace in the Horn of Africa. SIRC also provides a center for documentation and a source of information for scholars, politicians, international institutions, Horn of Africa governments and media.
SIRC has 2002-2013 successfully arranged annual conferences in the university city of Lund, Sweden, funded Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Folke Bernadotte Academy, Forum Syd/Sida, Lund University, City of Lund, Olof Palme International Center, UNDP, ABF, Folkuniversititet. The themes of the conferences have been:
- Co-operation Instead of Wars & Destruction (2002)
- No Development Without Peace (2003)
- Transforming Culture of War Into a Culture of Peace (2004)
- Good Governance & the Rule of Law: Key to Peace & Development (2005)
- Role of Diasporas in Peace, Democratization & Development in the Horn of Africa (2006)
- Post-Conflict Peace-Building in the Horn of Africa (2007)
- Faith, Citizenship, Democracy & Peace in the Horn of Africa (October 2008)
- Horn of Africa Peace: The Role of Environment (2009)
- Horn of Africa conference – focus on Somalia: The Role of Democratic Governance VS Sectarian politics in Somalia (June 2010)
- Horn of Africa conference: Role of Women in Promoting Peace and Development in the Horn of Africa (September 2011).
- Horn of Africa Peace and Security (2012)
- Conflict for resources in the horn of Africa (2013)
CAPACITY BUILDING PROJECTS FOR SOMALI CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANISATIONS 2011-2012, 2014, 2015-2021
SIRC in partnership with its local partners, Baniadam Relief & Development Organization (BRDO), operating in Puntland and south-central Somalia and Center for Dialogue, Civic Education and Human Rights (CDCH), operating in Somaliland, successfully carried out capacity building trainings for Somali civil society organizations in Somaliland/Somalia which are keys for the promotion for development.
- Capacity building training for Somali civil society originations focusing on human rights and democratic governance was implemented in 2011 Garowe and Hargeisa, by SIRC, BRDO with the collaboration of CDCH, and funded by Forum Syd/Sida
- Capacity building training: Peace and security training workshop: Enhancing capacities for Somaliland/Somalia civil society organizations in peace process, has been implemented with collaboration of SIRC, BRDO, CDCH, in Hargeisa 2012, funded by Folke Bernadotte Academy, Sweden
- 2014, capacity building training for Somali civil society organizations was carried out in Mogadishu, Somalia, focusing on resources, conflict and peace with the collaboration of SIRC and BRDO. It was funded by Folke Bernadotte Academy, Sweden
- 2015-2017 capacity building training projects focusing on marginalized and vulnerable groups, policy makers, traditional leaders and communities in Somaliland have a better knowledge of human rights and work towards a more equitable society, have been implemented in six regions of Somaliland, by SIRC local partners Center for Dialogue, Civic Education and Human Rights (CDCH) based in Hargeisa, and funded by Forum Syd/Sida.
- 2018-2021 ongoing capacity building trainings for Somali civil society organizations focusing on rights of marginalized and vulnerable groups, capacity building on strengthening peace and development in Somaliand/Somalia funded by Forum Syd/Sida
Note: See SIRC activities gallery by clicking SIRC website www.sirclund.se