Somali forces end al Shabab siege at Mogadishu’s Municipality headquarters
Source: Hiiraan Online, Sunday January 22, 2023
Mogadishu (HOL) – Somali security forces ended a battle to regain control of the Banadir administration headquarters seized by al Shabab militants on Sunday.
Police spokesman Sadik Doodishe said at a press conference inside the headquarters that at least 11 people, including six attackers, were killed during the siege.
Al-Shabab militants, which said it was behind the attack, had been holed up in one of the rooms in the buildings.
The spokesman added that security forces shot all the attackers dead, and government forces rescued several people during the attack.
Somalia’s Islamist group al Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack.
The mayor’s office is located in the local government headquarters building in a well-guarded area of Mogadishu.
Al Shabaab frequently carries out bombings and gun assaults on targets in Mogadishu and across the country.